Monday, October 14, 2013

Christie: 'If I was in Senate, I'd kill myself'

The inimitable Chris Christie was in rare form the other day when he fielded numerous questions about The Shutdown.
During a meeting with the editorial board of The Philadelphia Inquirer, Christie suggested that the dysfunction in Washington would drive him to thoughts of suicide: “If I was in the Senate right now, I’d kill myself.”

According to The Daily Beast, the New Jersey Republican governor, who disdains the thought of a legislative job, explained the remark:
“I was being dramatic to make a point—that it’s a waste of time. You know me. I’m not into wasting time. That’s what I meant by the comment.”
“You send people down here to run the government, not to shut it down. And everybody’s failed.”

And then there's this: "... It (The Shutdown) is an awful example in governance. You can’t expect people to have faith in our democracy when people don’t talk to each other and resolve these issues.”
In January, when House Republicans held up federal aid for victims of Superstorm Sandy, Christie was extremely tough on Speaker John Boehner and his GOP colleagues, saying that they demonstrated "callous indifference” and "disgusting” behavior.

In an interview with The Daily Beast, Christie, who may be the most popular major Republican figure in the nation (based on polls of his constituents), said this: “I don’t worry about the Republican brand. Not my job to worry about it. ... the country -- and rightfully so -- is fed up with everyone (in Congress).”

0 comments:

Post a Comment