Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Anuzis eyes Senate, wonders if he's 'too average'



In an email message sent last night, former Michigan Republican Party chairman Saul Anuzis has told the party faithful that he is seriously considering a run for U.S. Senate.
Anuzis demonstrates his typical wit and humility in the message as he appears to be thinking aloud whether he should engage in a campaign for the seat being vacated by Sen. Carl Levin.
Two Republican congressmen, Reps. Justin Amash and Mike Rogers, seem to be in the best position to vie for the GOP nomination, if they choose. Anuzis, who made an unsuccessful bid for national party chair a few years ago is in the low single digits in early polls of Republican voters.

“A poll is but a snap shot in time and this early in the process doesn’t mean a whole lot.  Being one of those potential candidates who should barely show up in the polls, what else would you expect me to say?” Anuzis said in the email.  

He added: “My personal challenge maybe that I’m just too average and maybe a bit too conservative (and often quoted) to be the right candidate at this unique time in Michigan’s political history?”

More musings: “No Harvard, no elected office, no big business successes and no unique, super-cool stories that make me someone special.  Rather, I’m a pretty average guy who’s been blessed with a great family and great life…having been through some of the best of times and some of the worst of times.
“Having said that, this is a unique time in Michigan’s political history where we have a real opportunity to win this Senate seat for Republicans and a constitutional conservative.  I am going to take a few weeks and seriously explore the opportunities, options and the kind of support I can put together.  Given the initial response from so many of you, I owe it to myself to serious explore my options.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment